Welcome to the Innovators Report: Trends in Entrepreneurship!
As part of our mission to enable and promote high-growth, high-impact companies, CED released its semi-annual publication tracking the state of entrepreneurship in North Carolina. The Innovators Report covers statewide activity in 2013.
Read the Full Press Release
(Released June 4, 2014)
We have identified three major indicators on which to focus:
1. Investments: Angel, venture capital, grants and crowdfunding platforms
2. Partnerships and Major Milestones
3. Exits: IPOs, Mergers, Acquisitions
Among the report’s findings:
- Entrepreneurial companies in North Carolina collectively raised more than $461 million in 2013 through equity investments, grants and awards
- Investments in life science companies outpaced technology companies, both in total numbers of deals and in dollar amount.
- North Carolina accounted for the largest number of uniquefunders (26), followed by the Northeast (24), and mid-Atlantic (14). Funders from California, Midwest, and the Southeast (outside of North Carolina) each represented 10 unique funds.
- Ten international funds made investments in North Carolina companies.
- Crowdfunding contributed $225,789 to technology companies
If you have feedback or insights to share, contact Dhruv Patel at email@example.com.
Data Sources: These data were compiled from SEC Filings, media coverage, our partners (see list below), and the entrepreneurs themselves.
National Venture Capital Association (NVCA)
North Carolina Biotechnology Center
Ernst & Young
The Innovators Report is made possible by generous gifts to the CED Annual Fund. Thank you to our many supporters! For more information on how to contribute, please visit www.cednc.org/donate.